Girolami Marco, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon - Oncologic and Degenerative Spine Surgery Department
- 2018: Visiting Fellow at Unidad de columna, Servicio de Cirugía Ortopédica y Traumatología Infantil – Hospital Infantil Universitario Niño Jesús (Madrid, Spain).
- 2017: Visiting Fellow at Spine Center - Benediktus Krankenhaus, Tutzing (Munich, Germany) under the guidance of Prof. Rudolf Beisse.
- 2014–2019: Resident in Orthopedic Surgery and Traumatology, “Alma Mater Studiorum” University of Bologna at the Rizzoli Orthopedic Institute, Bologna.
- 2013: Research Fellow at Spine Research Institute (New York University - Hospital for Joint Diseases) under the guidance of Virgine Lafage, Ph.D and Thomas J. Errico, MD.
- English: First Certificate (B2) – ESOL Examination, University of Cambridge (2004), re-assessed in 2010 by CILTA (University Language Center Bologna).
- German: fluent.
- Spanish: DELE B2 (2019).
Apple, Windows, Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook).
Affiliation to scientific societies
- Italian Society of Orthopedics and Traumatology (SIOT) since 2017;
- AO Spine since 2018;
- Spanish Spine Society (GEER) since 2019.
Clinical Research Projects
- “Prospective observational study on 3D-printed custom made titanium implants for anterior column reconstruction after en bloc resection for spinal tumors.” Principal investigator (PI): Dr. Alessandro Gasbarrini. Approved: 01/12/2016.
- “Ambispective study for collection of clinical and radiological data on degenerative, oncological, infectivous and traumatic diseases of the spine”. Principal investigator (PI): Dr. Giovanni Barbanti-Brodano. Approved: 14/12/2016.
- “Primary Tumor Research and Outcome Network (PTRON): multicenter primary spinal tumors database”. Non-profit study promoted by the AOSpine Foundation. Principal investigator (PI): Dr. Alessandro Gasbarrini. Approved: 03/02/2017. Registered on ClinicalTrials.gov: NCT02790983.
- “Efficacy and safety of bone substitute SintLife® in spinal fusion. A pilot study”. Principal investigator (PI): Dr. Giovanni Barbanti-Brodano. Approved: 03/02/2017.
- “SAcral Chordoma: randomized clinical trial comparing surgery and radiation therapy in primary localized disease (SACRO)”. Principal investigator (PI): Dr. Alessandro Gasbarrini. Approved: 05/07/2017.
- “MTRON: Metastatic Tumor Research and Outcome Network (MTRON): multicenter metastatic spinal tumors database”. Non-profit study promoted by the AOSpine Foundation. Principal investigator (PI): Dr. Alessandro Gasbarrini.Approved: 12/01/2018.
- "MSC vs SAE: Prospective randomized clinical trial comparing concentrated autologous bone marrow infiltration and selective arterial embolization in the treatment of spinal aneurysmal bone cyst”. Principal investigator (PI): Dr. Giovanni Barbanti-Brodano. Approved: 12/01/2018.
- “SINS-67: Assessment of the mechanical strength of a vertebra affected by primary or secondary tumor and correlation with SINS score”. Principal investigator (PI): Dr. Giovanni Barbanti-Brodano. Approved: 12/01/2018.
Courses and Meetings
Since 2014 attended to more then 40 national and international couses and meetings:
- Italian Society of Orthopedics and Traumatology (SIOT);
- Italian Spine and Scoliosis Society (SICV/GIS);
- Scoliosis Research Society (SRS);
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS);
- Sociedad para el Estudio de las Enfermedades del Raquis (GEER);
- AO Foundation – Spine.
- Johnson & Johnson Institute: advanced approaches to cervical spine, cranio-vertebral and cervico-thoracic junctions. ICLO Teaching and Research Center San Francesco Di Sales, Verona, October 2019.
- Theoretic-Practical instructional course: hip arthroscopy and arthroplasty, ICLO Teaching and Research Center San Francesco Di Sales, Verona, January 2019.
- Surgical Strategies and Approaches for Spine Surgery Fellows – Cadaver Training Program, Musculoskeletal Education and Reseach Center (MERC), Audubond (PA, USA), June 2018.
- Intensive Training Course – Full-endoscopic Surgery of the Lumbar Spine, “Prima Vista” Richard Wolf Academy, Knittlingen (Germany), April 2018.
- Training Course – Percutaneous Endoscopic Surgery of the Lumbar and Thoracic Spine, Institute of Anatomy, Tübingen (Germany), October 2017.
- Infiltration and dissection cadaver course, ICLO Teaching and Research Center, Arezzo, March 2016.
- AOSpine - Principles Specimen Course: posterior thoracolumbar spinal stabilization, AOSpine Courses, Tampere (Finland), May 2015.
- Surgery of the Upper limb course with Anatomical lab, ICLO Teaching and Research Center, Arezzo, July 2014.
- Surgery of Pelvis and Lower limb course with Anatomical Lab, ICLO Teaching and Research Center, Arezzo, June 2014.
- Human gross anatomy course (Thorax, Abdomen, Head & Neck), New York University - School of Medicine, New York, July - August 2008.
Oral communications and abstracts
Since 2014 he regularly attended to national and international meetings, mostly as presenter.
Author or co-author of more than 40 scientific abstracts accepted and presented in national and international meetings.
Author or co-author of 18 original articles published on impacted journals and 9 book chapters.
Italian Society of Orthopedics and Traumatology (SIOT) guidelines
Gasbarrini A, Di Martino A, Biagnini R, Denaro V, Ghermandi R et al. Therapeutic algorithm for the treatment of sacral metastases. Racommendations of the Italian Society Bone Metastases Study Group. Italian Journal of Orthopedics and Traumatology 42 (2016): 242-250.
- Primary spinal tumors and metastases;
- Degenerative spinal conditions (herniated discs, degenerative disc disease, stenosis and spondilolisthesis);
- Spinal deformities;
- Cervical spine;
- Mini-invasive spinal surgery.