Giavaresi Gianluca, MD
Director of the Simple Unit Omic Science Platform for Personalized Orthopedics (Complex Unit Surgical Sciences and Technologies)
1990: Degree in Medicine, University of Bologna, with honors.
- 1990: Qualification for the profession of MD, School of Medicine and Surgery, University of Bologna
- 1991: Registered at the MD Bar of Bologna (n.12064)
- 1995: Postgraduate diploma in Emergency Surgery and First Aid (Title equivalent to the Postgraduate Diploma in General Surgery according to European Directive 93/16/EC), School of Medicine – University of Bologna
- 2016: II level Master in Biostatistics, School of Economics, Management and Statistics, University of Bologna.
- From 2020: Director of the Unit Omics Science Platform for Personal Orthopedics (Unit Surgical Sciences and Technologies), IOR
- 2020: Director of the Unit Omics Science Platform for Personalized Orthopedics, IOR
- 2016-20: Lab. manager of the Technological Platform for Tissue, Teranostics and Oncology Engineering
- 2014-15: National Head of the project PON01_00829 – Innovative Technological Platforms for Tissue Engineering; Head of the IOR unit for the project PON01_01059 – Development of a new technological platform for the non-invasive treatment of oncologic and infectious pathologies based on the utilization of focused ultrasounds; Head of the national (Training) and IOR (Enhancement) unit of the project PONa3_00011 – Structural enhancement of an excellence network for preclinical and clinical research on personalized therapy.
- From 2000: Senior Researcher at the Laboratory of Preclinical and Surgical Studies, IOR
- 1995-2000: Medical Researcher (temporary contract) at the Laboratory of Experimental Surgery, IOR
- 1991-95: Medical Researcher (fellowship) at the Laboratory of Experimental Surgery, IOR.
English (level B2), French (level C1) and German (level B1) according tp the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
Excellent computer skills and mastery of programs for the treatment of texts and data and statistical analysis (R and SPSS), web-surfing skills.
Teacher for trainees of the Project PONa3_00011 - Structural enhancement of an excellence network for preclinical and clinical research on personalized therapy.
He is author and co-author of scientific articles, abstracts presented at conferences and book chapters. 309 of these articles are indexed by Index Medicus and/or SCI. His h-index is 52.
He is reviewer of the following scientific journals:
Acta Biomaterialia; Biomedical Materials; Endocrine; Expert Opinion on Drug Delivery; FEBS; Frontiers Physiology; International Journal of Molecular Sciences; Journal of Applied Biomaterials & Biomechanics; Journal of Biomedical Material Research; Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine; Journal of Cellular Physiology; Materials Science & Engineering C Tissue Engineering; The International Journal of Artificial Organs.
During his career he participated to multiple projects from different grant sponsors: Italian Ministry of Health, Italian Ministry for Research and Education, European Union and private Foundations.
- Osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, osteosarcoma, bone metastases, periprosthetic bone infections, osteomyelitis
- Biomaterials, biocompatibility, drug delivery, osseointegration of prosthetic devices and synthesis means
- Biophysical treatments: low and high intensity ultrasound, pulsed electromagnetic fields
- Regenerative medicine for bone, cartilage and tendon pathologies
- Nanovesicle engineering for degenerative and oncological orthopedic diseases
- Liquid biopsy from patients with osteosarcoma, multiple myeloma or bone metastases
- Mutations and polymorphisms in the genes of the vitamin D pathway and their implications on osteoporosis and osteoarthritis
- MiRNA and long non coding RNA