The 3rd Orthopaedic and Traumatologic Clinic prevalently Oncologic includes a hospitalization ward, an orthopaedic and surgical day hospital, a specialized outpatient clinic. It has 36 beds, organized in rooms with a bathroom and 3 beds each, provided with wi-fi connection. The presence of a physician is guaranteed in the ward every day from 8.00 a.m. to 8.00 p.m. Two nurses are on duty for night shifts.
The 3rd Orthopaedic and Traumatologic Clinic mainly treats patients with musculoskeletal tumors of bone and soft tissues. The majority are primary tumors, in both children and adults, that require complex reconstruction techniques (prostheses, allografts, vascularized fibular grafts with the involvement of other surgical disciplines, such as plastic surgery, thoracic and general surgery, vascular surgery, microsurgery).
Within the 3rd Orthopaedic and Traumatologic Clinic, the subsidiary Unit of General and Thoracic Surgery of the Musculoskeletal System performs both surgical activity (treatment of lung metastases from bone and soft tissue sarcomas, surgery of primary tumors of the thoracic and abdominal wall) and outpatient activity.
To a lesser extent also patients with degenerative disease of the hip joint, knee and spine, sports and road injuries with severe invalidating outcomes are treated. Patients with paraplegia and heterotopic ossifications of the hips are also treated. In the latter, ossifications are surgically removed for recovery of joint movement. Day Surgery is mainly aimed at treating meniscal diseases, benign tumors of the hand and foot and paediatric pseudotumoral lesions. Teleconsultation is performed both nationally and internationally for tumoral diseases of the musculoskeletal system. An average of 900 new cases are treated a year.
- The ward collaborates with the service of Medical Genetics and Rare Orthopaedic Diseases, part of the regional project Hub & Spoke on the diagnosis and treatment of rare skeletal diseases (Exostotic disease and other chondrodysplasias).
- Within the treatment of bone metastases, we participate to project ESOPE II: “Electrochemotherapy for the treatment of bone metastases of different histological origin”.
- Furthermore, the ward is part of the “Regional metastases project”, aiming to create a Hub&Spoke regional network on the treatment of bone metastases.
- We are listed for a creation of a Hub&Spoke regional network on sarcomas. A collaboration is already active together with the cities of Forlì and Piacenza, where doctors from the 3rd Clinic provide outpatient and surgical consulting.
- Consulting is also provided to orthopaedic wards in Naples and Bolzano.
- Diagnostic-therapeutic pathway for pediatric patients suffering from tumors of the musculoskeletal system, with the implementation of a dedicated surgery for pediatric patients treated for neoplasias of the musculoskeletal system.
Clinical research includes the following lines of departmental research:
- innovations in the use of modular resection prostheses in oncological orthopaedic surgery;
- transplant of vascularized peroneal bone in bone reconstruction;
- surgery of iterative lung relapse from osteosarcoma, performed thanks to the collaboration of the Thoracic Surgery unit;
- oncologic surgery of the spine and sacrum;
- study of sarcomas of the pelvis and their treatment;
- use of allografts in oncological orthopaedics;
- surgical problems in the treatment of foot tumors;
- bone metastases from carcinoma: prognostic and therapeutic factors;
- surgery of soft tissue sarcomas;
- infections in large articular reconstructions;
- identification of the potential malignant transformation of chondrodysplasia of oncological interest (Ollier's Disease, Maffucci's Syndrome, etc);
- evaluation of the effectiveness of CT-guided radiofrequency ablation of osteoid osteoma;
- echo guided biopsy;
- selective arterial embolization in tumors of the muscoloskeletal system;
- treatment of benign tumors of the muscoloskeletal system;
- use of microvascular free flaps in soft tissue sarcoma surgery;
- study on the comparison betwwen dynamic magnetic resonance imaging and istological reading of necroses after chemotherapy/radiotherapy in osteosarcomas and Ewing's sarcomas, in addition to some soft tissue sarcomas.
Other projects in progress
At the 3rd Orthopaedic and Traumatologic Clinic prevalently Oncologic the following projects concerning qualification of healthcare and quality of life are currently in progress:
Interactive project for training internal nursing staff
Aim of this project is to promote and improve specific communication skills among professional nurses through an active and interdisciplinary approach by learning a working method and an understanding of the dynamic phases of group work (meetings) using a guide-form for analysis and for choice of contents, and to identify set objectives (decisions and definition of single and group responsibilities, analysis and management of a conflict, negotiation). This allows the identification of certain evaluation parameters thus ensuring a better quality "health service".
Internal project of reorganization by sectors
The project entails the employment of a "Housing Manager" with the aim of facilitating discharge and assistance outside the hospital for patients with highly complex home healthcare needs.
In this Ward and in the Musculoskeletal Tumor Chemotherapy Ward a hospital-school project, is offered, providing hospitalized children with the possibility to continue their schooling.
Contacts and Locations
Assistant of prof. Davide Donati
D.ssa Patrizia Vergni
Rizzoli Orthopaedic Institute
via G.C.Pupilli, 1
40136 Bologna, Italy
Personale della struttura ha promosso i seguenti eventi formativi.