Gasbarrini Alessandro, MD
Medical Director with Organisational duties at the Vertebral Surgery Department – Oncological and Degenerative forms
1992: Degree in medicine and Surgery at the University of Bologna, with honors.
1992: Professional qualification as Physician and Surgeon.
1997: Specialization in Orthopedics and Traumatology at the University of Bologna, with honors.
- From 2017: Interim Director of the Department of Oncological and Degenerative Spine Surgery.
- From 2010: Responsible of the Vertebral Metastasis Unit at the Department of Oncological and Degenerative Spine Surgery.
- From 2009: Medical Doctor at the Rizzoli Orthopaedic Institute, Department of Oncological and Degenerative Spine Surgery.
- 1998-2009: Medical Doctor, level I, at the Orthopedics and Traumaatology Unit of the Hospital Maggiore, Bologna.
1986-1992: During his University studies he attended the following Institutes of the University of Bologna as an intern student:
- Histology and Biology (1986-87);
- Physiology (1988-89);
- Medical pathology and Clinical methodology (1989-90);
- Orthopedics Clinic I, Rizzoli Orthopaedic Institute (1991-92);
1993-1997: During the Specilization course he attended:
- Division V, Rizzoli Orthopaedic Institute;
- Codivilla-Putti research Departments (Pathology Anatomy in Orthopedic Oncology).
- Spinal surgery Division, Rizzoli Orthopaedic Institute;
- Pediatric Orthopedic Department (VIII div. Rizzoli Orthopaedic Institute);
- II Division of Oncological and Reconstructive Orthopedics at the CTO (Trauma- Orthopedics Unit), Florence;
- Experimental Surgery Unit, Rizzoli Orthopaedic Institute;
- Chemotherapy Unit, Rizzoli Orthopaedic Institute.
From 1999 to 2017 he has performed over 3600 surgical procedures, most of them in spine surgery.
He also performs surgical activity as consultant at several Hospitals and Centres in Italy and abroad: Torino, Padova, Firenze, Pisa, Catania, Narni, Campo S. Piero, Verona, Thiene, Giulianova, Modena, Udine, Munich, Murnau, Tutzing, Den Haag , Oviedo.
1987: English language course at the University of Berkeley, California.
1997: French language course, at the Italo-French Association Alliance Française, Bologna.
Use of Office and Internet applications.
2017: Teaching qualification as University Professor for the Italian Ministry of University (Sector 06/F4).
Assistant Professor at the School of Specialisation in Orthopedics and Traumatology, Catholic University, Rome.
- From 1992 to 2017: 226 publications on national and international scientific journals and 19 book chapters;
- From 1992 to 2017: more than 200 participations to International and National Meetings as Speaker or Teacher;
- Principal Investigator of 10 Clinical studies at the Rizzoli Orthopaedic Institute;
- Member of the work group for Metastasis treatment of the Italian Society of Orthopedics and Traumatology (SIOT);
- Founder and President of PROBONE ITALIA ONLUS, association for the care of spinal tumors.
- 1997: "Service des Urgences" at the C.T.O. in Strasbourg (Illkirch Graffenstanden), FR;
- 2000: Chu de Bordeaux. Chirurgie osseuse et articulaire des membres. Chirurgie de la colonne vertébrale, FR;
- 2004: Medtronic SD Memphis - Tennessee - USA;
- 2004: Spine Center Dartmounth - New Empshire - USA;
- 2005: Hospital Universitario 9 D’Octubre in Valencia - SP;
- 2009: Saint Louis Spine Center – Spine Care – USA.
Patents and designs:
- Hip replacement for use after major bone loss from the proximal femur (“GB Composite”, Citieffe Srl);
- Shoulder replacement for use after major bone loss from the proximal humerus (MRS Lima);
- Insole with weight-bearing cells to measure the weight load on the leg (Caricostop);
- Device for protection of neural structures during vertebrectomy (now Resegone, K2M);
- Vertebral pedicle screw stabilisation system (SCML, Showa ika);
- Custom-made 3D printed cages for anterior column reconstruction after vertebrectomy (“Biomimetic”, ITC- Gran Canaria).
Orthopedic Oncology with particular focus on Vertebral oncology, Degenerative Vertebral Pathology, Biological and Mini-Invasive Spinal Reconstruction