Sarcoma and bone metastasis cause significant morbidity in patients. The therapeutic options in most cases include surgery to remove the disease and reconstruct the affected tissues. Unfortunately, in some cases the current therapeutic options are limited.
The unit of Regenerative Therapies in Oncology (TRO) is a specialized unit of the Osteoncology composed of clinicians, biologists and biotechnologists with the mission to develop innovative and therapeutic strategies to offer patients a better quality of life.
At the intersection of oncology and regenerative medicine, TRO is interested in in vitro models of pathological tissues. These models are applied to investigate the efficacy of innovative therapeutic agents, such as nanodrugs and photo dynamic therapy.
With a solid expertise in cell therapy, our unit has developed several cell-based therapeutic products for bone reconstruction that have been tested in preclinical and clinical trials.
Research project participation in the last 5 years:
- 2020-23: Finalized Research Project RF-2018-123680004 "A Theranostic approach to reduce local reoccurrence of myxofibrosarcoma". Financing Body: Ministry of Health. Coordinator Dr. Toni Ibrahim, IRTS Meldola (FC-Italy), in collaboration with Dr. Greta Varchi, ISOF CNR, Bologna
- 2019-21: Research project "Development and validation of nanostructured medicated biomaterials for the treatment and regeneration of metastatic bone tissue" ("Sviluppo e validazione di biomateriali medicati nanostrutturati per il trattamento e la rigenerazione del tessuto Osseo metastatico"), POR-FESR Emilia-Romagna Call for proposals
- 2018-21: Research Finalized project GR-2016-02364704 "An in vitro and ex vivo model of biomimetic regenerative devices to treat bone metastases and soft tissue tumors". Financing Body: Ministry of Health. Coordinator Dr. Laura Mercatali, IRTS Meldola (FC-Italy), in collaboration with Dr. Michele Iafisco, CNR, Faenza (RA-Italy).
- 2016-20: "Stem cells and innovative Nanoparticles as Anticancer Phototherapy System for High grade Osteosarcoma Treatment". Founding body AIRC. Coordinator Dr.ssa Serena Duchi, ISOF CNR, Bologna
- 2016-20: Research Finalized project PE2013-02354871 "Mesenchymal Stem Cells and photoactivable Nanoparticles: a novel Anticancer Phototherapy System for High grade Osteosarcoma Treatment". Financing: Body Ministry of Health. Coordinator Prof. Davide Maria Donati, IOR, in collaboration with Dr. Greta Varchi, ISOF CNR, Bologna, and Prof. Mauro Ferrari, Houston Methodist Research Institute, Houston TX, USA.
Since 2008 the unit has obtained the certification of conformity to UNI EN ISO 9001:2000 and subsequent adjustments (currently UNI EN ISO 9001:2015), and operates in accordance with its principles and specifications.
TRO welcomes collaborations with all stakeholders in the process of research, including industries, Academia, and patients associations.
Contacts and Locations
Where are our locations?
Istituto Ortopedico Rizzoli
Centro di Ricerca Codivilla-Putti
via di Barbiano, 1/10